New updates on the Raj Kundra pornography case. On Tuesday, the Mumbai Crime Branch opposed the bail plea of businessman Raj Kundra, who was arrested last month for his alleged involvement in the creation and distribution of pornographic content.
During the hearing, Mumbai Police told the court that the businessman might commit the crime again if released on bail and might even try to escape. Police further said that granting him bail would send the wrong message to society.
Kundra, who is in judicial custody in his bail plea, said police had filed a charge sheet in April and his name did not figure in it nor the FIR related to the case.
The plea said that the accused mentioned in the charge sheets are currently out on bail.”The entire order is based on conjectures and surmises and deserves to be set aside. The magistrate failed to appreciate that there was no material against the applicant to even show his alleged involvement in the alleged offence,” Kundra’s plea added.
Police further replied to the plea and said the crime was “serious” and they are still investigating where all the videos were uploaded.
Police explained that Kundra could contact his absconding relative Pradeep Bakshi and try to avoid an investigation. Being a British Citizen, Kundra can most likely escape if granted bail.
The Crime Branch said that not one person could deny the possibility of the video being uploaded outside India due to Kundra’s connection in the film industry. Speaking further about the case, police added the victims of the case were women from poor financial backgrounds. If Kundra is released then there’s a high probability that victims with crucial evidence might not come forward.
The court postponed the matter for a hearing on August 20.